Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Empty arms in Haliburton





We went camping last weekend up in Haliburton. This is the view from our campsite. It was my daughter's first camping experience. She wasn't too impressed at first but once we lit a camp fire she seemed to love it! She became "Keeper of the Fire". I brought a picture of Kai to put beside my sleeping bag. It was automatic. Bringing his picture camping was, in some way, a way for me to have both my children camping with us. 

There was a nine month old baby boy at another site. I was able to hold him for a while. It was the first time I had held a baby since Kai. I was fine while I held little A, but later in the day the pain came washing over me and I cried and cried. I wanted so badly to hold that little guy again. It just felt so perfect. Kai would be seven months old as of Friday - the first day of our camping trip.

I am really feeling that "empty arms" symptom now. I hate it! It just reminds me that my son is gone and there is nothing I can do about it. 
I keep thinking of making a doll of Kai. I am creative, i can do basic sewing and I could create a really artistic little bundle for me to hold. Is that creepy? Is it healthy? I don't know. I just want to hold my baby boy that would be seven months old now.


Me and A.

2 comments:

  1. It's not creepy ... if you think it might help, go for it! At the very least it will give you something to do and keep you busy.

    Your campground looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There,

    Just came across your blog and was attracted to "Haliburton". I too am in the Toronto area - Newmarket, actually... and cottage up North on Balsam Lake.

    I am so sorry about your precious Kai.... it's all so tough.

    ReplyDelete